11 September 2014

Time travel at Balchik


"I'm not going to tell the story the way it happened. I'm going to tell it the way I remember it."*

When I was a very little girl, so little that my parents still carried my potty with them, we vacationed at the Romanian seaside. From there we went on a one day trip to Balchik. It was the one and only time my parents and I travelled outside Romania and this is probably why I still have some memories of it. The image that really stayed with me was a huge stone throne on the beach overlooking the sea. And I also remember putting my potty on it and doing what little kids do on the potty. Back then it must of felt special sitting on the throne where a queen used to stay.

30 years fast forward, it felt special again. A week back, we stopped at Balchik on our way back home from the Bulgarian seaside ( It was the first time the boys travelled abroad, too). I was about to leave the gardens when I realised the throne must still be there, so I had to find it and confront my memory of it. I was really excited to see how much reality would match the image that lasted in my memories for 30 years. I was in for a big surprise.


It was there, almost the way I remembered it but sooo much smaller. I was overwhelmed when sitting face to face, or throne to face, with my childhood. It's so rare that I have this luxury, to relive those happy times. Since I don't have a picture from my first time there, I asked the 2 better versions of me to sit on the throne so that the photo I'd took could help me recollect this moment in the future. But the truth is the depth of this special encounter can't be captured in a picture. There will be just my memory of it which will last me for at least another 30 years.

A time travel a day keeps the doctor away!

 *that's how my favorite movie begins

P.S. how a strawberry beamed me back in my childhood and the pursuit of happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment