13 September 2014

12 tips for packing toiletries



Traveling feels like the ultimate luxury for me and the only luxury I dream of having as frequent as possible in this lifetime. So, with every opportunity I have, I try to make the best of it. Including packing as light as possible. I thought I'd share with you my "thinking/planning process" when it comes to packing toiletries:

  • invest in a nice cosmetic bag with a lot of compartments so that your staff stays organised until you reach your destination. Mine is Aqua and it is the souvenir I bought home from Bulgaria


  • although I use a brush on a daily basis I pack a comb for travelling to save space;
  • try to limit the liquids I carry for damage control, so I only use makeup removal wipes when travelling;
  • similarly, I pack one nail remover wipe so I can refresh my manicure if need be. Until recently I didn't even know they existed but this summer they were very useful, especially since you can find them packed individually. So they are a real space saver, not to mention the damage a liquid nail remover leakage can do;
  • carry a razor and a tweezers for all the hair that may surface in a well lighted hotel bathroom;
  • I usually don't wear makeup so I only have my lip gloss in my hand bag and I may also carry a lip balm or a lipstick for a more dramatic look (dramatic for me cause I normally only use gloss). But with all these space saved you can carry your makeup in the bag as well;
  • I kept the very little bag I was offered with cotton buds at the Hamam and refill it to capacity; or spare the small shower gel hotel containers, refill them and pack but only if I'm not staying in a hotel (which already provides soap or shower gel);
  • instead of my regular bottle of parfume, I carry samples that I purposely save for travelling. Not only they are saving space but they will be a nice surprise when I spray them on while away from home. They just add to the novelty part I adore about travelling;
  • don't skimp on cream cause the hotel one may be not that hydrating;
  • I leave any toiletries I can in the bag for easier packing the next time I travel: a spare toothbrush, my comb, cotton buds, nail remover wipes, etc;
  • I don't pack any jewelry lately, only wear what I have on me when I leave home. Especially since any trip is a good opportunity to explore and bring home new local pieces, instead of touristy souvenirs that clutter your home;
  • pack your favourite beauty panacea. A real multipurpose product. Inspired by Garance's post , this time it was rose water for me. Rose water can serve as : makeup remover, subtle perfume, thermal water spray substitute, natural anti-inflammatory and also hydrating. In winter I would most likely switch to olive oil.

And the bonus tip: don't worry if you leave something behind, you can live without any of the above except toothbrushes that you can find pretty much anywhere.

Enjoy your packing!

P.S. 12 tips for organising beauty products, at home, and 10 tips for closet clean up

No comments:

Post a Comment