Whenever my kids are away I put on my "organization specialist" hat and try to improve my habitat. This Sunday it was time for my bathroom beauty inventory. When we moved I decided to keep my corner shelf unit instead of having a cabinet because this way everything is so easy to grab. But it can get messy and it shows, so here is how it looked before my organizing adventure:
And here are my tips to get from chaos to order:
- keep only things used at least on monthly basis and find another storage for the ones you no longer use regularly ( for me it was the baby nasal aspirator);
- move travel-size containers and samples into a closet near the travel cosmetic bag;
- declutter: check the expiration date and also consider the time you first opened the container because there is a limit to opening time on most beauty products;
- keep whatever you feel safe to keep. I don't want to look at the date on my mascara because I only use it maybe once a month and so far it didn't kill me;
- diminish the size of my trow-all container from a small basket to an even smaller heart shaped one. I keep some hair clips there, a lip balm and sometimes rings and jewelry;
- keep the products used daily in one container close to the sink and mirror
- put away all the combs and brushes and keep the only one I use (the other is my mother's)
- mend and clean whatever you can. As you can see my brush is cut in 2 and I always forget to buy superglue but someday I will remember. At least I cleaned it;
- containers: I used whatever I already had: a candle holder, a nice jar and even a plastic popcorn glass
- throw away all my hygiene products original package and put them in more fun containers like a candle holder so that the overall look is "friendlier"
- lastly, have each product with its own place so that it is very easy to reach and put back in order;
- add your personal touch: a candle, an inspirational quote, fresh flowers or whatever speaks to you. For me is the front package of my "La vie est belle" Lancome parfume. It's a nice thought to start the morning with and it has some pink and some glitter. A reminder for the mommy me that even though I now have around 5 minutes to get ready in the morning I still am a girly girl at heart.
In the end, just like with the wardrobe, it's a process. I still have to find a place for my long necklaces for example. So, it's never done but at least I made some progress.
I hope you find this useful and if you have any other tips of your own I'd love to hear from you.
Order a day keeps the doctor away!
P.S. 10 tips for wardrobe clean up