5 February 2014

Shh, I'm reading "The Goldfinch"

The Goldfinch, by Carel Fabritius, 1654
I've spent my last 5 days in New York, being a fly on the wall, living along with Theo. And I must tell you that we've been through a lot together: a visit to the museum, a terrorist bombing, stealing a one-of-a-kind painting, moving uptown in a fancy house and visiting downtown to make new friends. Now I am on a plane to Las Vegas and the journey is just beginning.

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it". And like always, the good old Universe worked for my intense desire to read a good book: I got a Nook reader from my Santa, the kids are away in vacation and ACupofJoe recommended "The Goldfinch"

The Guardian says it has a little bit of "Great Expectations" (the book behind my favourite movie) and of "Crime and Punishment" (a read I really enjoyed as a teenager). I say the pictures this book paints in my mind are so vivid and captivating that I feel beamed across the ocean all the way to USA.

The Guardian book review is very compelling: " If anyone has lost their love of storytelling, The Goldfinch should most certainly return it to them" and Joanna describes the book as "beautiful, stay-up-all-night and tell-all-your-friends triumph" So, my blog friends, if you love reading, this book will surely be a great joy.

Enjoy and let me know if you liked it!
Aura - Appreciative Joy Curator

P.S. "The Goldfinch" influenced Johannes Vermeer when he was creating a much more famous Dutch painting, "The Girl With a Pearl Earring,"

No comments:

Post a Comment