29 November 2013

On partnership in ballet and in life


Marriage, if you ask me, it's the hardest thing. There are days when I am grateful for the happy feeling of family gathering together back home in the evening and there are days when I struggle to "hang in there". Marriage for me is about 3 things:

COMMITMENT is how it all starts and it needs to continue as a commitment. Imagine that the 2 partners are 2 cities and the marriage is the highway that links the 2. Sometimes you meet half way but often times the journey makes it so you are closer to A or closer to B. But in order to meet you have to "pave the way", maintain the highway (otherwise the connection is lost).

LOVE is the "secret" ingredient. I am always a bit sad that I find it so easy for me to forgive my husband. Just the other day I was thinking it must be love. It must be love that makes me feel I still wanna be by his side after nine perfectly imperfect years together. Beigbeder says love lasts three years but even he passed the milestone. When you are in a relationship every day can be a milestone, it's only with love that you can pass it and build the marriage that will stand the test of time.

PARTNERSHIP: commitment is the base, love is the secret ingredient and partnership is the "technique". Marriage is a work in progress, just like any other partnership, just like partnership in ballet:


It’s not about you, it’s about making the woman beautiful
It takes true artistry to make a woman feel that safe (on stage)… you just have to have that trust

A woman that knows how to offer love and is loved in return is a beautiful woman. Same goes for men.

P.S. Altucher's post on how to screw up your marriage on purpose is funny and smart too
Photo credit Paul Kolnik via dancetabs.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment