2 October 2013

On phones, kids, empathy and sadness



Louis Ck talked on Conan about why he wouldn't let his kids have cell phone. You must see this. First because it's funny and also first (I can have 2 firsts if they are equally important, can't I) because it touches on some very interesting topics:
  • kids are even meaner on the phone and they need to build empathy
  • grown-ups are loosing the art of being sad and lonely
  • texting while driving
  • sadness

Here is why Louis CK hates cell phones :



"You need to build an ability to just be yourself and not be doing something. That's what the phones are taking away, is the ability to just sit there. That's being a person."

"Just be sad. Just let the sadness, stand in the way of it, and let it hit you like a truck. And I let it come, and I just started to feel 'oh my God' and I pulled over and I just cried like a bitch. I cried so much. And it was beautiful. Sadness is poetic. You're lucky to live sad moments.

And then I had happy feelings. Because when you let yourself feel sad, your body has antibodies, it has happiness that comes rushing in to meet the sadness. So I was grateful to feel sad, and then I met it with true, profound happiness. It was such a trip."

If I was in any doubt before, now I know: I want phones for my kids rather later than sooner.

I hope you enjoy this!
Aura- Appreciative Joy Curator

P.S. The Wholehearted Parenting Manifesto and Games kids play

Photo source: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment