29 September 2013

Veggie dip/ Zacusca

My mother makes more than 100 jars of veggie dips and all sorts of pickles each year. I thought I'd never have the patience nor the skills to even try this but, this fall, after my friend, Geo, shared this very simple recipe, I gave it a try last week. It was delicious, we all loved it so I did my second batch this weekend. Maybe you'd like to cook it too, so here it is:

Ingredients:
3 medium eggplants
3 red peppers
3 green peppers
2 big onions
2 big tomatoes
a cup of oil (approximately)

Instead of grilling the veggies like my mother does, I cooked them in the oven. The quantities are just enough to fill the oven trey. Leave the tomatoes and onions for later. The peppers will be ready sooner than the eggplants. Just check them out after 20 to 30 minutes.


After I peeled off the skin of the peppers I cut them in small pieces and, by then, the eggplants were also ready. When I first did this last week, I didn't really know how to peel of the eggplants. So I thought the avocado way was the easiest. I cut them in 2 lengthwise and used a wooden spoon to scoop out the inside. We normally use a wooden non-reactive tool to mince the eggplant as finely as possible, I used my ceramic knife because it was closer.

The second part consists of cooking all the ingredients in a frying pan. First put some oil in the frying pan, heat it and then put the minced onions (I used the blender to mince them), the peppers and the eggplants. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to stir from time to time. In the same time peel off the 2 tomatoes and make fresh tomatoes juice using the same blender. Poor the tomatoes in the pan and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.


It doesn't get any easier than this with zacusca and the taste is delicious. Thanks a lot for the recipe, Geo.
I think I am my mother's daughter, after all.

A joy a day keeps the doctor away!
Aura

P.S. Autumn DOs and How to Tiramisu

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you did make this. Congrats, you'll enjoy it this winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surely did. We will enjoy it just this week though cause I did it for now and not for jar packing.

      Delete