22 April 2013

What makes us feel good about work

How was your day? Do you like Mondays? Was it hard to get the work week started?

I don't love my work but I like it enough not to complain about having to do  it in order to make a living. Would I do exactly the same if I had all the money in the world? I think not, but I would definitely do some kind of work cause I'm not the "do-nothing" type of person.

What motivates us to work?


All the researchers say that work is not (all) about money. I am pretty sure that these studies are done on persons with income levels above the average, don't you think so? Joke aside, I can understand that is harder to do something you are not enjoying than something that makes you happy for the same amount of money. On the other hand research shows that by getting people to work harder you get them to love what they do.

So, work is not all about money, but it's not exactly joy either. It seems that most of us thrive by making constant progress and feeling a sense of purpose. One of my favorite researchers in the world, behavioral economist Dan Ariely, presents two experiments that reveal unexpected and nuanced attitudes toward meaning in our work.


I hope this gave you some ideas about your job and what you can do further to make it better.

Have a great work week!
Aura

No comments:

Post a Comment