7 January 2013

The last great tabu


"Love and marriage, love and marriage,
Go together like a horse and carriage.
This I tell ya, brother, you can't have one without the other."

I can hear Sinatra singing this in the opening title sequence of "Married with Children". I don't know what Sinatra would say about infidelity and marriage.  However I do know what Alain de Botton thinks about adultery and marriage.

The article de Botton wrote and I had the pleasure of reading can be found here. Thanks, Di, for sharing. Here is what I extracted from it and all the related videos:
  • you marry a human being
  • the moralistic times we live in allow most things to happen before marriage but accepts nothing much thereafter
  • there are few, if any, who never showed an interest in being unfaithful
  • starting with the 18th Century marriage shifted from being an institution to being about deep love
  • faithfulness should not be taken for granted and deemed the normal state of affairs.

The end of the article states my thoughts perfectly written down by de Botton:
"Spouses who remain faithful to each other should recognise the scale of the sacrifice they are making for their love and for their children, and should feel proud of their valour."

For more insight on this you can watch the author's speech here or a related video accompanying his book here

Enjoy!

P.S. a funny take on marriage and the most romantic thing I heard lately

No comments:

Post a Comment