20 January 2013

Silver linings playbook

When my husband told me that we should watch "Silver linings playbook" I knew nothing about the movie. I didn't even know about the Oscar nominees nor about the Golden Globe for Jennifer Lawrence. I watched the trailer and I was convinced when I saw De Niro and that there is some dancing involved.

I would call this a romantic drama with a happy end. The story starts when Pat finds his wife in the shower with another man who he almost kills. The movie starts when he is released from a state institution and comes to live with his parents. Pat Solatano (Bradley Cooper) is now determined to reunite with his wife and makes all the efforts he can think of to succeed. Excelsior (ever upward) is his motto and silver linings playbook is his strategy for coping.



He meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a very young widow who has also a hard time dealing with the problems in her life. As they become friends silver linings appear in both their lives. 

Silver linings represent a hopeful or comforting prospect in the midst of difficulty. The origin is the proverb "Every cloud has a silver lining". When the sun is behind a cloud it gives a shiny contour line for the cloud and is called a silver lining.

The movie is interesting. The lines are nothing but cheesy, although, in the end, "love conquers all". This is what I didn't like, it is sooo predictable. But the actors alone with their 4 Oscar nominees should be reason enough to watch this. The film is also nominated for best picture, film editing, writing and David O. Russell for directing. Some consider it the best picture of 2012. Let me know what you think...

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Good selling! ;)
    Look forward to watching it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! I hope you will like the movie, too! And do share with us any other Oscar material you've seen already.

      Delete