6 January 2013

Domestic goddess

Life is sweet, especially when cooking sweets. And so is Nigella. Nigella who? Nigella Lawson, but of course. I already told you how much I like her here and here. When I recently saw her book "Nigella Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home" I made it the first gift I bought myself this year. I didn't have a cooking master plan in mind, I just couldn't resist. But I think, deep inside me, hope sprang that it will make me a better cook. I can cook and I do cook, but nothing special, although I enjoy it a lot. And when it comes to sweets I have 2 signature cookies:
  • Tiramisu - because it doesn't involve any baking
  • Creme brulee - because I am making this since high school and I think it can't get simpler than this.
And by signature sweets you can read that I only cook these 2. 

Pear Pandowdy or how I made my first step to becoming a domestic goddess

A. picked a recipe from my new magic book and I had the pleasure of cooking it.
Here is the long story short of how I made the pandowdy which is a made-in-the-pan pie. You can find the complete recipe from the book here.

I was very nervous at first because I had 0 expertise in baking. I know that the first step is usually the most complicated one so I just started without thinking to much about it.

The ingredients that went into the pan together with the sugar

There was too much sauce in the pan so I took some out. And because I had left over panettone I couldn't resist a dip while the fruits were cooking. It was delicious. To tell you the truth, I thought it was the only decent sweet I will get this afternoon.


Rollin out the dough I made in the mixer

Made 3 slashes in the dough as instructed



The magic moment when I took it out of the oven and poured some sugar


The anticipation of the taste while cutting it. I can tell you that the smell was so inviting I could hardly wait to taste it


There are some improvement points A made sure to bring to my attention but the fact is that it tasted deliciously and that "I made this".

This is not a story about baking but a story about first steps and crossing over the lines we keep ourselves in. I hope you will make a lot of first steps in 2013 and that they will bring you the feeling of fulfillment I had when making my first pandowdy.

Did you like this? I plan to try out more of Nigella's recipes, so please comment and let me know if I should share them with you.

Have a great week!
A

P.S. "How to Be a Domestic Goddess: Baking and the Art of Comfort Cooking" is Nigella's second book from 2000 and it was my inspiration for the title

No comments:

Post a Comment