20 December 2012

Guiness book TV series

You know I told you how much I like fairy tales. Especially in winter. And I also told you how much I like TV series. "Downton Abbey" is a nice tale turned costume drama TV series. As I was writing this I discovered that Google celebrates today 200 years of Brothers Grimm tales. I just love coincidences like this.

My little secret

Growing up I used to watch costume dramas with my mother and they were my favourtie movies back then. I used to call them "movies with long skirts" because of the costumes all the ladies were wearing. Silly me! Nevermind, the childhood memories are so sweet.

20 years later

Now I am a mother myself and I still enjoy "movies with long skirts". Don't you miss one of my lists?!

I like Down ton Abbey so much because:
  • the series, set in the fictional Yorkshire country estate of Downton Abbey, depicts the lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the post-Edwardian era
  • it's a costume drama starting in 1914
  • Highclere Castle in Hampshire used for exterior shots of Downton Abbey and most of the interior filming is quite impressive
  • the highlights of those days are things we take for granted now like electricity, cars, telephone
  • the important events that took place: the sinking of the Titanic , the outbreak of World War I in the first season and I'll see what's next.
  • woman had the same problem back then as they are having now: searching for the significant other to fulfill their lives and to meet the society's expectations
  • the characters are very different but equally enjoyable
  • the aristocrats treat their servants very nice
  • it's so interesting to see how both aristocrats and servants had their share of problems irrespective of their position....and the list can go on but I want to leave the rest for you to discover.

Last attempt to convince you: Downton Abbey was recognized by Guinness World Records as the most critically acclaimed English-language television series of 2011, and became the series to receive the largest number of nominations, 27,  in the history of the Emmy Awards

Source: imdb.com


The best is yet to come

The coolest thing about this series is that it was recommended by one of you. Thank you once again, Isa. This is what I am trying to build here - a place where we can all share our good moments on some sort of a joy platform. What do you say? Are you in? I am eagerly waiting for your comments so we can all benefit.

Any things that you enjoyed lately and would like to share?

Thanks so much,
Aura

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you like it. I was hooked on it myself when I discovered it. I wish one day I could go and visit the castle where the filming took place.
    I don't watch any other TV series at the moment, but since I will start my winter holiday tomorrow I will check out some of your recommendations. I have already watched some clips on youtube from the "New Girl" series and I like what I saw. I will get back to you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A visit to the castle would be so nice. We can put on a long skirt, close our eyes and wait for the servants to do all the housework :)
    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, thank you for stopping by and for your kind words.
    Secondly, I started to watch Downton Abbey a while ago, but haven't managed to finish the first series yet. I love it though, as I think it's an accurate depiction of the period, I love the attention they give in the film to the details of the interiors and clothes, and I think the characters are well written.
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for "the visit".
      I wish I could see the Christmas special Downton Abbey on ITV. But since I'm not in UK I will enjoy Christmas anyway with my family.
      Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones!

      Delete