21 November 2012

Ingress- gaming taken to the next level



Not long ago I told you I never play computer games. Still don’t, but a “never say never” reminder is needed. I want to play a mobile game, and I want it now. Never thought I’d live to express this. Or, maybe, If I don’t find time, I hope A will play it. Really, have I just “said” that ?! Enough with this, let me tell you about the game:

It’s Google’s Ingress, a mobile game played in the real life. Not all mysteries are solvable but the joy comes in the pursuit, that's the promise.



Ingress is a project of John Hanke and his Niantic Labs from Google. “The concept is something like World of Warcraft, where everyone in the world is playing the same game,” Hanke said. Ingress aims to get people out in the physical world, both for physical activity and to see their surroundings in a new way. This sounds great to me.

There are 2 teams which either embrace or fight "the power": The Enlightened or The Resistance, respectively. The energy one needs to collect is known as "Exotic Matter" (XM) and is found at real locations in key public places. The goal is to create zones controlled by your faction, through teamwork, and attack those occupied by the enemy. One team will eventually win but it will take expectedly up to 18 months.

You can find more about it on the Ingress site, a player’s review that I found very interesting and the “trailer”:


I can only imagine the social impact this game will have. Time will tell.

So, places to go, people to see, Ingress to play, iPhone to buy! Not in this order, obviously.

Will you give this a try? If so, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment